Welcome to Meeting Mojo, a platform to support potential applicants in finding partners for the Newton Fund UK-Malaysia Urban Innovation Challenge 2017.
On behalf of the funders Innovate UK and PlatTCOM Ventures, the Knowledge Transfer Network (KTN) is hosting this platform for both Malaysian and UK applicants.
Meeting Mojo allows you to search for and message potential partners to form a consortium for this competition. Please note that there will not be any physical meetings held - all activity will be hosted online for you to pursue further.
Below you can find:
- Details about the competition
- Organisations already joined
- Presentations and recording from Partnering Webinar, 8 June 2017
- How to join and use this online partnering community
Innovate UK and and PlaTCOM Ventures are investing in projects that use cutting-edge solutions to improve cities in Malaysia. The aim of this competition is to encourage innovative partnerships between the UK and Malaysia in projects that last two years.
Projects should address one or more of the following urban challenges:
- Urban Mobility
- Urban Waste
- Urban Water Management
Funding, Eligibility and Contact Details
Innovate UK is investing up to £3 million for projects, administered by the Newton Fund.
UK businesses: A UK business must lead the UK application, and can choose to be the only UK partner. However, more than one UK business can form a consortium.
UK universities or research organisations: You can form part of the consortium, but not lead on the application.
There is no limit to how many UK organisations can form a consortium.
Funder contact details
Innovate UK - If you have any questions about the UK competition scope and application process, talk to the dedicated Competitions Team, Monday - Friday 09:00 - 17:30:
- 0300 321 4357
The Malaysian investment has been made possible through PlaTCOM Ventures.
Malaysian businesses: A Malaysian SME must lead the Malaysian application, and can choose to be the only Malaysian partner. However, more than one Malaysian business can form a consortium.
Malaysian universities or research organisations: You can form part of the consortium, but not lead on the application.
There is no limit to how many Malaysian organisations can form a consortium.
Funder contact details
PlaTCOM Ventures - If you have any questions about the Malaysian competition scope and application process, contact Nalni Subramainam:
- +60 (0)3 8319 3116
Key dates for both countries
- Competition opens: 2 May 2017
- Briefing webinar for applicants: 11 May 2017
- Registration deadline (for UK applicants): 30 August 2017 - 12:00 noon
- Application deadline: 6 September 2017 - 12:00 noon UK time, 19:00 Malaysian time
- Anticipated release dates of results: 28 January 2018
- Project start date: 1 February - 1 April 2018
Applicant Briefing Webinar
A Webinar hosted by Innovate UK to brief on the competition scope and application process took place on Thursday 11 May. Watch the webinar here.
On 8 June, KTN held a partnering webinar at which UK and Malaysian participants were given the opportunity to pitch their project ideas or technology offerings to help find partners, representatives from Innovate UK and PlaTCOM presented on their respective sides of the application process, and KTN outlined the networking assistance it can provide.
• Audio and slides: Recording of the webinar (1 hr 15 mins)
• PDF slides: Knowledge Transfer Network presentation
• PDF slides: Innovate UK presentation
• PDF slides: PlaTCOM presentation
• PDF slides: Delegate presentations
Malaysia: Pentalight Technology, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
UK: Interactive Coventry, Manchester Metropolitan University, MEPCS, Metasphere, Red Ninja, University of Glasgow, Water Powered Technologies.
UK: AID:Tech; Ambiental; Birmingham City University; Cranfield University; Edinburgh Napier University; Future Cities Catapult; Green Fuels Research; Imperial College London; Loughborough University; Manchester Metropolitan University; Metasphere Ltd; Queen Mary University of London; Red Ninja; Rivelin Bridge Ltd; SmOP Cleantech; Sofies; Transport Systems Catapult; TWI Ltd; University of Reading; University of the West of Scotland; UrbanThings Ltd.
Malaysia: Alam Informasi Sdn Bhd; DreamEDGE Sdn Bhd; Geneflux Biosciences Sdn Bhd; UniMAP.
- Go to the 'Register' icon at the top menu and complete the form.
- Remember - the more details you include, the easier it will be for other participants to understand what your organisation is offering, and what kind of partners you need to complete your consortium. Starred fields are mandatory and your application cannot proceed without them.
- (Please note, your organisation address and phone number will not appear in your public listing for other organisations to see, but adding these will help the site admin to check your organisation.)
Authorising your account
- Once you have submitted the form, you will be sent an automatic email to confirm your application is being processed.
- Emails are sometimes filtered by your provider, corporate IT or application settings. If you don't receive an email, please check your Spam folder.
- It will take up to 24 hours (Mon-Fri) for the site admin to confirm your registration. Until your registration has been confirmed, you will not be able to search for partners.
- However, in the meantime, you can log into your account and add any other details if you wish - an organisation logo, or additional people from your organisation.
- Once your registration has been confirmed, you will receive an automatic email with your login details which will also include a link to authorise your account.
Searching for partners
- In the top menu on this page, click 'Search' to view and search listings.
- On the left of the page is a search tool to help refine your selection - you can sort by country, by type of organisation and registrants' area(s) of interest based on the competition scope. Please note that if no registrants have yet specified a particular area of interest, it will not appear on the drop-down menu.
- Alternatively, to see who has newly registered, you can order by date of entry using the selection tool above the listing.
- The search tool is hierarchical, so the second category you select will be a subset of the first. If you then wish to start a new search, please click 'Reset' on the Search tool before starting again.
Sending messages to potential partners
- In your chosen participant's entry, click on the 'Send message' icon to start your discussion. The participant will receive an email to alert them to the fact that you have sent them a message.
- Your sent messages are displayed in your 'Messages' section.
Receiving messages from potential partners
- If another participant has sent you a message, you will receive an email informing you.
- DO NOT reply to this email direct (it has been automatically generated by Meeting Mojo and any replies to it will not be received by the participant). You will need to log into Meeting Mojo and reply to the message via your 'Messages' section.
Any queries about Meeting Mojo?
Check the FAQ guide which contains instructions on how to use Meeting Mojo, including how to reset your password.
The Knowledge Transfer Network is the UK's Innovation Network. It works closely with Innovate UK on networking activity around the Newton Fund, crucial to help participants to meet and develop collaborative partnerships. Find out more here.